Quote of the Day

"We're only here briefly, and while I'm here I want to allow myself joy. So fuck it."
- Amy, Her.

Thursday 8 September 2011

Trailer... Thursday?: The Hunger Games


Yes, The Hunger Games teaser has finally arrived. Are you ready for one whole minute of "Strong-minded girl running round a burning forest with a bow and arrow"? Because I surely am! Synopsisation Time:

"Katniss Everdeen takes her sister's place in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to death on live television. The story is in a post-apocalyptic setting in which the country of Panem contains twelve districts, with the Capitol in the center. The Capitol controls the Hunger Games in a reminder of the failed rebellion against the Capitol 74 years ago." - Wikipedia

And some personal points of my own:

Katniss Looks Perfect
Obviously the main part of this trailer is our hero Katniss herself, portrayed by Jennifer Lawrence. Now I for one had my doubts to begin with (Lawrence was a natural blonde, *gasp*), but the film makers have totally nailed the look in terms of what I had in my head when reading the books. And the best thing is she looks grimy; broken, tough, edgy. I had these horrible visions of a "Glamorous" take on The Hunger Games, another dull attempt to take a great series and turn it into another Twilight, but fortunately this trailer looks to be taking it the other, proper, way. Of course, they've left her eyes blue (brown in the books), but I'll cope.

The Little Things
As a big fan of the books, my eyes were peeled throughout the trailer for canonical references and luckily, it didn't disappoint. The orange back-pack, given to each contestant at the start of the games makes a welcome appearance and the mocking-jay pin at the end heavily reflects that of the books. Also, that whistle at the end has got to be Rue's; a young girl Katniss allies with in the arena. Goosebumps a-plenty to be had from that tune...

The Direction Style
I know, I know: it's only a minute long clip, but I think what we're seeing here is deeply representing what else we can expect in terms of direction and style. Just look at how the camera shakes and wobbles and the use of CGI (falling tree). Again, going to the point of "non-glamorising" the production, this holds true here too; shots that look rough and sketchy, mirroring that of Katniss's personality versus that of the perfect Capitol (in which I'm hoping shots there will be all straight up and professional, just to further this subtext). Looking too much in to it? Never!

Gale's Voice-Over
That's certainly Gale (Liam Hemsworth), Katniss' hunting buddy talking over the teaser, most likely taken from a scene just after she is chosen to enter the games. I'm not going to lie, it does sound slightly wooden compared to the dramaticness the dialogue on page might have suggested, and kind of unnecessary. Hopefully the film won't be littered with cheesey voice-overs like this (I doubt it would), becasue I've become very wary of them ever since The Last Airbender. *Shudders*

That's all for today's off-schedule trailer, but keep coming back for more of that informative-movie goodness. Also, whenever a proper, full trailer drops for this (I predict late Oct/early Nov), I'm sure to break it down with tons of background knowledge and all that razzle-dazzle. But for now, tar-ah, and may the odds be ever in your favour.


ATR


Also, fancy new follow button on the left! Ka-ching!

                                                     More Trailers!               

No comments:

Post a Comment