Quote of the Day

"We're only here briefly, and while I'm here I want to allow myself joy. So fuck it."
- Amy, Her.

Sunday 17 July 2011

Expecto-No-More-O: The End of Harry Potter


After 10 years of the boy wizard, the series finally draws to a close with the climactic Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 2, which opened last Friday. But what happens next, and what kind of impact has the Boy Who Lived had on the muggle world we live in?



    Just a few days ago, a friend of mine described this finale as "the end of our childhood", and in a lot of ways, it was a true statement. My generation have lived the bulk of their lives with theses books and films, having that near annual trip to see what Harry, Ron and Hermoine are up to in the latest instalment. I remember seeing Philosophers Stone back in 2001, mesmerised by the magic weaving its way into everybodies hearts that day. My fear at the forbidden forest scene (I ended up in my Mum's lap), my laughter at Ron's "Bloody" one-liners and my joy at the awe-inspiring world unfolding before my eyes. And all the while I sat, I was completely unaware of how huge this franchise was going to be, as did everyone I think.
It's like we've grown up with them!
The craze took 3 people in particular unawares, boosting them into international superstars almost over night. I am of course talking about Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson, the main three protagonists of the saga's course. Without Harry Potter we may have never have known the faces of these rising stars, leaving them to perhaps descend into other less-meaningful careers, not aware of their potential. How well they strive after this remains to be seen, but it could have been a completely different tale without them...


   So ten years on, here we are, with the 8th movie hitting cinemas globally and already breaking the records for day one and weekend Box Office earnings ($92.1million and $168.55million, respectively). It's been on the news literally every day these past 2 weeks and don't even get me started on the amount of articles popping up on IMDb (it's literally 1 per minute!). So to say that this has turned not only into a cinematic and media phenomenon but also personal one as well, is a heavily justified statement.

Spoiler: That's not how it ends...
I myself caught it last night, and although it wasn't quite the emotional fire-storm I had hoped, it does the series proud for what it is. (Don't hold your breath for an RE:View however, because for some reason I feel it might be blasphemous to pick apart something that apparently "ends my childhood". Sorry for any disappointment, but that's just the way it is.) Now I never read the book, but I'm pretty sure it was a close follow if the Wikipedia plot summary is anything to go by.


   But of course, now it is over. No more Potter, or Hogwarts or Magic or "Cupboards -Under-The-Stairs". The end of an era, you could say, but not the end of an icon. I have now doubt in my mind that the mark of Harry Potter (and I'm not talking about the scar here) will live on for a long time, possibly past our lifetimes. If its longevity lasts anywhere near to that of Star Wars, then it's also a safe bet to say that this ain't the last we've heard from this Universe ( but no crappy "Kids of the heroes" spin-offs please?).

Even a month ago, J.K Rowling announced the "Pottermore" project; a website intended to provide a brand new reading experience to compliment the books, including background information on characters, notes on her writing process and over 18,000 words filling in novelty information about objects and places. And although she's promised no new novel any time soon, this is first hand proof of an ever-expanding Universe at work.


So I guess it's time to just sit back and wait, to see what the World of Wizarding brings next. Whether it be through books, TV, films, or even websites like Pottermore, this certainly isn't the last we'll hear from The Chosen One and co...
Can't argue with that...

Don't forget to stay tuned for an article coming soon about my ideas on where the Harry Potter Universe could go next! Plus vote on the poll: What is your favourite of the HP Films?

No comments:

Post a Comment