Super is the new "Indie" movie from Slither director, James Gunn, looking for a new take on the superhero genre, starring The Office's Rainn Wilson as the protagonist and Ellen Page (Inception, Juno) as the quirky sidekick. While you could argue that it's an almost direct rip off of Kick-Ass or certain characters within it, it does seem somewhat distant from the smash-hit comic adaptation. The use of shaky, mock-umentary style cameras and the perhaps more realistic violence leads me to believe that this will be a unique film, regardless of the lack of an original plot.
"After his wife Sarah (Tyler) hooks up with a smooth-talking drug dealer named Jock (Kevin Bacon), Frank (Wilson) transforms himself into superhero "The Crimson Bolt". Then with the help of a trusty wrench, Frank wages a one man war on crime. Libby (Page), a local comic book store employee, transforms herself into a superheroine named "Boltie" and becomes Frank's sidekick. The two then team up to take Jock down." - Wikipedia Plot Summary
Here's the awesome looking trailer:
Time to break it down, even though it's pretty much self-explanatory:
- 0:06 - Looks like thought monologuing is going to play a big part in understanding Wilson's character, as we hear him losing his wife.
- 0:11 - Here's an example of those shaky cams I mentioned, as Frank (Wilson) confronts Bacon about his wife.
- 0:20 - Frank touches the car in a daring attempt to piss off the Baconater.
- 0:23 - And the subsequent beat down...
- 0:30 - :'(
- 0:32 - Libby (Page) shows Frank the ropes on the superhero career path.
- 0:42 - Frank chooses the illusive "Wrench" to smash some bad guys. A comedic choice, it would seem.
- 0:45 - Obviously an early concept design for Frank's costume as "The Crimson Bolt".
- 0:47 - And the costume itself. Looks very DIY and colourful, yet fits so well into the movie.
- 0:50 - Frank in costume, saying his new catchphrase: "Shut up crime!".
- 0:53 - Though these comic-style fight scenes may look tacky, I feel it helps build character to the movie and gives it a certain "IN YOUR FACE" tone.
- 0:55 - Laugh inducing stuff here, as The Crimson Bolt tackles a criminal into some unsuspecting handicap.
- 0:56-1:02 - More brutal shots of The Crimson Bolt hitting people and waving a patronising finger after.
- 1:03 - That's certainly an interesting statement to advertise...
- 1:06 - Dropping a brick on a ladies head sure is nasty. Looks like this hero's a weency bit psychotic... Loving the "CRACK" effect though.
- 1:13 - Libby's costume now for "Boltie". Not as effective as Franks, but still fits the tone. However, I do find it a bit of a coincidence that it matches the colour scheme of a certain Kick-Ass...
- 1:23 - More comedy now, as the duo "Wait" for crime.
- 1:37 - A look at the cartoon aspect of the film here, with sketchy versions of both Libby and Frank. Whether or not these section will be used in the actual movie, I'm afraid I can't tell you.
- 1:39 - More of the brash, tacky style comic visuals.
- 1:41 - Wolverine claws? Sweet!
- 1:46 - YAY! Explosions!
- !:47-1:55 - Cast call, including Nathan Fillion for some reason. It'll be interesting what his super-hero role entails.
- 2:00 - Epic walk through flames. A must for any revenge seeking protags.
- 2:02 - And the title. Nice and simple with "SUPER" there, and a flashy font to go.
- 2:06 - Guns don't fare well with The Crimson Bolt...
So that is Super. Do you think it looks super though? I know it's definitely on my "Must" list for the upcoming months, (and so may be gracing your eyes with a succulent RE:View of it) but I can see some sort of division over opinions on it, a marmite situation if you will, because of it's brash and "IN YOUR FACE"-ness, sort of like Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim vs The World before it. That's all for today, but keep coming back for more doodles, trailers, RE:Views, news, articles, Supdates and just genuine awesomeness.